04 June 2008

Who Do You Love?



Who Do You Love?

I wish I could understand
why I know that Bo Diddley
had a one-eyed white bull dog
named Lola,
yet I can't remember
what year my favorite
grandfather died

Or his age, for that matter

I know that Gram Parsons
was first Ingram Connors
that Elvis had a twin named Jesse
and what the Killer said
when he played piano
right after Little Richard

Yet, I can’t remember
where I put my birth certificate,
when to change the air conditioner filter
or my first husband’s mother’s name

I know that Bo said “Don’t trust
no one but your mama, and look real
hard at her”, but I can’t recall
Christmas when I was six years old

Same for seven, eight, nine and ten

Who do you love?

© Alyce Guynn
June 2, 2008

The Rag Blog

Only a few posts now show on a page, due to Blogger pagination changes beyond our control.

Please click on 'Older Posts' to continue reading The Rag Blog.