20 June 2009

Starr Takes Shine to Sotomayor

Starr's attack of rightwing realism is more evidence, if any was needed, of what I said from the get-go: Sotomayor is not a radical.
By Steve Russell / The Rag Blog / June 20, 2009

Kenneth Starr, who certainly lives over the political right edge of the earth, has endorsed Sonia Sotomayor. And even acknowledged that Barack Obama is his President!

Starr's attack of rightwing realism is more evidence, if any was needed, of what I said from the get-go: Sotomayor is not a radical. More's the pity. She's a moderate liberal who will probably rule pretty much like the Justice she is replacing, David Souter.

She was not my candidate. Diane Wood was my candidate, and Diane's way to the left of Sotomayor while remaining mainstream enough to get confirmed.

That said, I become more rabidly pro-Sotomayor every day.

The right must not be allowed to do what they are trying to do to her. It's dishonest, and if it succeeds it basically means lots of our kids (in the greater community sense) can never serve on the Supreme Court.

The latest hoo-hah is they got on her for belonging to a women's club.

If there is anyone here who can't see the difference between a men only club and a women only club, please go stick your head in a bucket because you are not fit for the real world. And last time I looked, I still had a penis, difficult as it is to see over my stomach. My wife says it's still there.

And that business about the National Council of La Raza being like the KKK. Oh right. NCLR lynched how many people? NCLR burned how many churches?

I'm disqualified from federal court consideration because I'm too old, but should I be disqualified because I've held office in two different Indian Bar Associations? Does that make me a racist?

What I'm getting at is that every possible nominee to the Court who is not a white male is threatened by the nature of the attack on Sotomayor. It's not that they are against her, it's HOW they are against her. Those arguments cannot be allowed to stand.

The Rag Blog

Only a few posts now show on a page, due to Blogger pagination changes beyond our control.

Please click on 'Older Posts' to continue reading The Rag Blog.